onsdag 30 juli 2008

EGC part one

Friday
Worked all day and then took the train to Leksand around 17:30 IIRC.
Seemed to be quite chaotic, the people at the Info Desk didn't know that there was a code to enter the school where I'm staying for example. Fortunately, I found some people outside who knew the code.

Saturday
Started off with the night shift at the Info Desk, absolutely nothing to do there. Around 07:30 I got to bed and slept til noon.

Sunday
First round. I played a Russian 3 kyu and managed to win.
When I first came to my board there was a Japanese 3 dan sitting there.
He was very sure that he was supposed to play there and his English wasn't too impressive...
After a while a team leader (it seems that the Japanese players usually have one, to communicate with the world for them) said something and all Japanese players in the room left.

I decided to play in the rapid tournament, but quickly realized that that was a bad idea. Being a organizer is more work than I expected, so my plan for the rest of the congress is to only play in the main tournament, aka the European Championship.

Info desk in the evening, not too much work but a bit frustrating since people ask soo many questions that I had no answers to.

Monday
Second round. I won against a German 2 kyu thanks to a better fuseki and jose.
It was a very fast game; the time limits are 2 hours plus byo-yomi, but we only used around 20 min each.

Info desk again.

Tuesday
Third round. Very peaceful and easy game against a Japanese lady with the rank 1 kyu.
Although it was easy, it was tireing at the same time, since I counted maybe 30 times to make sure that I could just play safe.

I worked at the pub in the evening. One player got really drunk (on his own, not in the pub) and passed out around midnight in some bushes outside; he thew up and was lying on the street at one time, so we decided to try to do something.
The ambulance didn't want to do anything and neither did the Police, they said something like "well, take a picture of him" when we asked what to do.
Around 02:00 some people managed to get him into a car and took him to the school where he's staying.

Wednesday so far
Rest day (no main tournament game)

I started off at the Info Desk at 07:00. WTF? Did I get to sleep for 4 hours? It fells like a lot less...

There's a 9x9 tournament today and one player didn't realize that he had to register and way quite upset when he found out that he couldn't play. He was sitting in a chair beating up a table with one of his sandals, then walked around a bit looking like he wanted a fight with somebody and then sat down again hitting the table some more. I don't know about some people...

Inga kommentarer: